How to Customize Your Digital Planner
July 08, 2021 • 5 min read
Need a Custom Digital Planner? Here’s How to Do it.
Anyone who loves a good planner is also likely to be a fan of doing things their own way. Us planner fans are often a bit creative at heart - and if not creative, we like things to be logical and efficient!
Here at BOSS we like to think we’ve created the ultimate personal planners that suit everyone. But if you feel the need for a customizable digital planner, you may be wondering if BOSS can, in fact, be customized.
The good news is that YES - BOSS is a customizable digital planner, you just need to know how to go about it! Below we’ve written out some instructions to get you started on your custom digital planner journey.
1. Custom digital planner? First choose your planner
Your first mission, should you choose to accept it, is to decide which one suits your needs best!
2. Download your planner app of choice
This is your next big decision - which planner app will you choose? Your ability to customize your digital planner rests on the app that you choose to use it with, so have a look around and see which one suits your purposes!
BOSS digital planners are designed to work with GoodNotes, Notability, Notes Writer, Noteshelf, and Xodo - but you should hunt around and see which one will be easiest to make the edits and look you’re wanting to achieve.
3. Change tabs
Here’s where it starts to get interesting. You can change the title of your tabs (and subsequently the theme of your pages) with a little bit of editing magic - it’s simply a matter of knowing how to do it.
The following advice is for Goodnotes users, but there are similar steps you can follow for most planner-compatible apps.
Here’s how to get started:
- First things first, you need to remove the text on the tab that you’re wanting to change. There’s no direct way to do that in Goodnotes, so that means you’re going to need to ‘cover up’ the text in order to start afresh.
- Using the lasso tool, take a small chunk of the color from the tab itself, then choose the ‘take a screenshot’ option.
- Copy the screenshot, then paste it back onto the tab. Adjust the chunk of color so that it covers up the text on the tab. Voila! You have a blank canvas to add a new tab title onto.
- Now, click on the Text creator in Goodnotes and create a new tab label, getting the font and color as close to the original as possible. Using the lasso function, grab the new text, resize or rotate it, and drag it over to cover up the tab you have just prepared.
4. Change pages
Now that you’ve changed the title of your tab, you’re going to need to change its associated page too. Here’s how to go about that:
- If you want a completely blank page, for example, you’ll first need to lasso a section of white from anywhere in your existing planner, and then follow the same steps as your tab change to cover over the entire page with your white block of color.
- If there’s a planning page somewhere in your BOSS planner that you would like to recreate instead, lasso that page, take a screenshot and copy it over to the page you want to get rid of.
- The best part is, if you change your mind later, you can always use your trusty lasso tool to select the page you revamped and delete it so it goes back to its original look!
To go one step further and add your very own pages to your planner, you can follow the steps above, but instead of copying an existing page from your planner, you can use the ‘insert’ function on Goodnotes to add in your own image as a planner page!
To do this, you’ll need to:
- Create a new planner page (in whichever program you like to do your digital design work) and save it as an image.
- Now, in Goodnotes, go to the Add a Picture icon, and then ‘Insert from’, before finding your saved image and selecting it.
- Open the page, then resize it to cover the existing planner page you want to cover over.
- That’s it! It’s that simple!
Personal Planner Stickers & Covers
But wait, there’s more to customizing your digital planner than just page inserts and tab changes. Decorating your digital planner with stickers and beautiful covers is a fun way to turn planning into a joy rather than a task.
You can buy a range of stickers here and covers here - so whether you need some happy Thanksgiving vibes in your planner, or a bit of birthday frivolity, customizing the look of your planner will be simple and striking!
A Customizable Digital Planner at Your Fingertips
A bit of individualism goes a long way when you’re planning - we all lead very different, very unique lives after all. Being able to customize your digital planner is a wonderful thing. With BOSS planners, anything is possible! Get started on your very own planning journey today.